The KLRU KIDS Writers Contest is a local Contest designed to promote the advancement of children’s reading skills through hands-on, active learning. Children from kindergarten through fifth grade are encouraged to write and illustrate stories and submit them to KLRU. All children who enter the contest have their story published on our website!
KLRU’s volunteer judges are diligently working to make the difficult decision of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners for each grade level. KLRU would like to announce the winners the week of May 13th, if not sooner. Winners will be notified by a phone call.
We will be honoring the winners and all the children who entered the contest on Saturday, May 18, from 11:30am to 1:00pm at the downtown Austin Public Library, 710 W. Cesar Chavez St. Please RSVP if you plan to attend.
In our eyes, every one of these stories are winners! Keep on writing and illustrating!
Next year’s contest will begin January 1, 2020 and end March 31, 2020.
Questions? Email Mary Alice Appleman at email@example.com or call 512.475.9051.
2019 KLRU KIDS Writers Contest Winners
Kindergarten (48 entries)
- 3rd place: Nathan H., I Am Still Angry
- 2nd place: Jaelen Elyssa D. C., The Lost iPad
- 1st place: Aryan K., Jake the Rocket
First Grade (134 entries)
- 3rd place: Emi L., The Giant and 4 Unicorns
- 2nd place: Cecelia S., The Universe Unicorn and the Galaxy Unicorn
- 1st place: Emily B., The Dino Band
Second Grade (138 entries)
- 3rd place: Tatum F., A Beach Surprise
- 2nd place: Caden M., Blue Crayon’s Adventure
- 1st place: Sankalp L., A Wise Little Hen
Third Grade (79 entries)
- 3rd place: Juniper G., The Upside Down Catastrophe
- 2nd place: Atlie M., Cody the Caterpillar
- 1st place: Diane K., Tim and Lucy: Ice Castle
Fourth Grade (102 entries)
- 3rd place: Anishka B., My Dear Clover
- 2nd place: Noah M., Once a Pawn a Time
- 1st place: Isabel B., The Heat Wave